Pages

Monday 9 January 2012

The Dawn Chorus


The Dawn Chorus
by pete marshall

I felt the chill upon my face
that urged my mind to open eyes
I heard the tune of morning song
as light would waken from the night

I heard the wind blow through the trees
as children stirred and stifled yawns
I smelt the bacons wafting scent
that welcomed in a summers dawn

The ground was wet with morning dew
that glistened on a fallen leaf
and as I cupped my steaming mug
the coffee found my lost belief

I looked out far across the fields
and watched the crows that ruled the sky
I watched you slice the crusty bread
and let the time just pass on by

I heard a noise that brought me joy
as children laughed from deep inside
beneath the quilts and sleeping bags
they  wiped the sleep from off their eyes 

I laughed at hair and ruffled clothes
that sat beside and watched the dawn
and though the chill would keep us cold
the taste of bacon kept us warm

************* 

originally published at One Stop Poetry 31st July 2010

image courtesy creative commons http://www.flickr.com/photos/taivasalla/ 



No comments: